Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Heavenly Bread Found In the Night Sky


The night sky, filled with an infinite number of twinkling and shiny stars has become my new playground.

I stare into the dark vastness and search for His creations that appear before me slowly as I focus my eyes.
My son received a telescope recently, and we have been studying with great joy the creation out of our reach, but within our sight.

We fiddle and tweak the scope and set our sights on a world beyond us...a brilliant display of lights and dancing planets and stars.
“This is God’s creation,” I tell him, while looking into his amazed face.
“Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing” Isaiah 40:26.
The moon, gives way its light and blankets us in awe. I tell him, my son, that we are staring in the face of Heaven. God gave up His place in the starry sky that was not big enough to contain Him to come down in human form...to be held, judged, and hung like a thief.

I remind my son that the same star that appears before us led the way for the wise men to find the baby Jesus.
He, who carved the universe we are exploring, came to us to provide the bread of life.
God took on human form through His son Jesus and took the nails and our sins and made Himself bread so that all who are empty could fill themselves with the Bread of Life.

We continue our talk of the bread and the sky and the gift that is ours for the taking, while standing in the cold night air absorbing this that is God’s creation.
My son says to me, “But Mama, if we are supposed to be bread for others, why are there still hungry people in the world?”

How powerful a question for such a little guy!
And he’s right! What’s more important in this life than to be bread for another man?
It will soon be Christmas. The days are ticking by. We will celebrate the birth of Christ, who came as our daily bread...the bread of life. And yet, somewhere, someone will not be filled with that bread.
“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” John 6:51
Will you serve it to one who is hungry? Will you share a life giving portion to someone this season?

As we stare into the openness of the sky, and darkness wraps around us like a soft blanket, I pray that we will all be the bread of life to those who are hungry this Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to talk to your son about God. When you look at something so amazing as the night sky how can you not be in awe of God and he's done?

    ReplyDelete